SEND Information and Local Offer

SEND Information and Local Offer

From September 2014, all schools are expected to publish information about their provision for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes the ‘Local Offer’, which helps parents/carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.

For more information about Birmingham’s Local Offer (SEND) please click on the following link:

Key members of Staff:

Miss Clare Redman
Acting Head Teacher/Designated Safeguarding Lead | 

Mrs Amanda Hodges
Acting Deputy Head Teacher/Designated Safeguarding Lead | 

Careers Education

In our school we want to support our pupils to develop into happy, successful citizens. For them to have a sense of belonging in their community finding rewarding work is important. We do this by giving them a breadth of experiences that include working alongside others in cookery, music technology, forest school, mini enterprise and maintenance. In addition each year a range of outside speakers from a diverse variety of jobs come to school and talk with our pupils about life at work and how they were supported to do the job they do. We also regularly take our pupils out to different work places. They are able to learn about the practical side of doing different types of job e.g trade industries, customer service, catering industry. We have a day dedicated to careers education each term to give our pupils an opportunity to focus on their own aspirations for adulthood. Our Life Long Learning teacher Amy Yates will be able to provide further details upon request.

You can contact her through or

We measure the impact of our careers curriculum through conversations with our pupils prior to their annual review of the EHCP, and through discussions and work produced in our PHSE lessons. 

Frequently Asked Questions

From September 2014, all schools are expected to publish information about their provision for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes the ‘Local Offer’, which helps parents and carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.

Skilts is a Special Educational Needs School for pupils in KS1, KS2 and KS3

Frequently Asked Questions:

1) What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school make provision for? What type of provisions are made and how do they know it works?

Types of need

Examples of support in our school

How we check it is working



(Social, Emotion and Mental Health.)


Small class sizes, personalised SEMH targets, highly skilled positive behaviour practitioners (Team Teach trained), pastoral wellbeing and intervention Support, positive behaviour/rewards system, Lego therapy, Personalised Behaviour Plans, AaRT (Aggression Replacement Training), Art Therapy, Malachi Trust, Risk Reduction Plans, Protective Behaviours.


Weekly behaviour and engagement data analysis. Regular reviewing and assessing of personal targets and annual EHCP review. Academic targets reviewed regularly



Autistic Spectrum Condition

(for pupils working at higher cognitive ability)


Small class sizes, personalised teaching approaches, personalised academic targets set, ASD friendly environment (e.g. visual timetables, sensory boxes/spaces), skilled behaviour practitioners (Team Teach trained), pastoral wellbeing and intervention support, Lego Therapy, AaRT (Aggression Replacement Training), Art Therapy, Malachi Trust, Protective Behaviours.


Weekly behaviour and engagement data analysis. Regular assessments of

personal targets ? and
review of EHCP. Academic targets reviewed regularly.


We have a high proportion of additional need types such as Attachment Disorder, ADHD, PDA, ODD and some pupils may have any combination of these along with the above.


2) How does the School identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

All our pupils have SEND and either Statements of Special Educational Need or Education Health and Care Plan.

3) How does the School know how much progress is being made with pupils with Special Educational Needs?

We have a robust system of baseline assessments, data recording, target setting and tracking of progress. Targets are personalised and take rate of progress alongside SEMH factors into account. Assessments are made using the A2E assessment system, in line with National Curriculum Programmes of Study and subject specific Progression in Skills and Knowledge Ladders. Robust learning evidence is used to support teachers’ overall assessments. Targeted intervention is in place for pupils who we feel are making less than expected progress. Our progress targets are set in line with national expectations for pupils with SEND. Parents are able to arrange meetings to discuss and review progress, both academically and socially.

4) What extra-curricular activities can a pupils with Special Educational Needs access at School?

Due to the distance of the school, extra-curricular activities are built into the wider curriculum and unstructured learning opportunities such as cookery, forest school, Lego club, enrichment activities and reward trips.

5) Does the School have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

Miss Clare Redman, Deputy Headteacher, is the school’s designated SENCO. She can be contacted via the main school telephone number, 01527 853851.

6) What training do the staff in school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?

Many of our teachers and support staff are highly experienced in working with children with SEND. For staff who work within the school setting, we offer induction and training including positive behaviour management strategies, de-escalation approaches, language of choice, Attachment Disorder, Team Teach, PDA. Some staff are trained in more specialist areas such as AaRT (Aggression Replacement Training), Lego Therapy, Team Teach Instructor. For all our staff, we have a schedule of both academic and SEND specific training across the year.

7) How does the school access more specialist help for pupils if they need it?

We have access to a team of professionals who can offer specialist advice. These include nurses, speech and language therapists, educational psychologists, the Communication and Autism Team, Steve Brown (Behaviour Support and Autism Specialist). We work very closely with all professionals as well as parents to ensure we offer the best provision.

If required, we will also work with other agencies such as: Forward Thinking Birmingham, Social Care and Health and Barnardo’s.  

8) How are parents of children and young people with SEND involved in the education of their child?

We are happy to meet with parents as often as necessary to ensure that they are happy with the educational, social and emotional support their children are receiving.

There are a range of opportunities both formal and informal for parents to come into school. These range from parents evenings, Annual Review meetings and special assemblies. Class teachers speak to parents weekly and all pupils/parents received an annual school report. Some pupils have a home/school communication diary where necessary.

9) How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

Wherever possible we will include our pupils in their education by encouraging them to participate in review meetings, whether that is by talking with them outside of the meeting to ascertain their views or by pupils taking part in the meeting itself.

We also involve pupils through questionnaires and class-based discussions, particularly in relation to the wider curriculum enrichment and reward based activities.

10) If a parent or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?

The school has a complaints policy that is available on our website. However, in the first instance we would encourage parents and carers to contact the Head Teacher, Ms. Melanie Keating to discuss the complaint.

11) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs, including support for their families?

The governing body ensures there is a programme of support for parents and carers.

12) Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?

SENDIAS, a parent support service, is available to help parents through the assessment process and can also help facilitate school visits and offer advice. SENAR are the department within the LA who manage the assessment process.

13) How does the school support pupils with SEND through Transition?

The arrangements for transition vary dependent on the stage in their education that pupils are at. On entry to Skilts School, the transition is planned on an individual basis with you and your child.  If a pupil is coming to us from a different school, we will always try to visit them in their current setting and if possible attend their final review. We will also arrange for visits to the setting and will include a transition booklet, which supports pupils in their upcoming changes to the environment and staff through images.

In relation to KS4 transition or reintegration to mainstream, the school supports through a robust handover system. Meetings are held between the secondary school transition worker and Skilts School to provide information on how pupils can be best supported in their academic and social development. Transition days are also supported where the parents/carers and pupils visit the school to support the pupil in the significant change ahead. Some pupils receive follow up visits by the pastoral team to support in their early settling into secondary school. Other pupils, who are reintegrating with mainstream, are supported through a phased integration programme involving key staff attending initially on a 1:1 basis.

14) How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authorities Local Offer?

Birmingham’s Local offer can be found on the My Care in Birmingham website.

Types of need

Social emotional and mental health difficulties

Examples of support in our school

Small classes

High adult to pupil ratios

Personalised targets for pupils

Experienced staff team

Input from other professionals

How we check it is working

Regular assessments of personal targets

Review of Statements/EHCP

Personalised targets and planning for individuals

Staff evaluations of training

Many of our pupils have medical diagnoses including ADHD and ASC which impact on their responses and behaviour.

Skilts SEND Information and Local Offer